Benefits & national assistance

Claiming benefits can be a very challenging experience for someone with ME; sometimes it can feel like the system is actually set up to catch you out or wear you down! Members will be happy to share their experiences of how to cope, and we can point you to organisations that support and assist claimants. We are also negotiating with the companies who assess claimants to try and make the process less taxing for those of us living with ME.

The links below may be useful:


Apply for Universal Credit:

Apply for New Style ESA:


Apply for PIP info & number:

Get help with benefits applications/assessments/reassessments:

Buy a disabled railcard:

Find out about the Warm Home Discount (money off energy bills if on a low income):

Apply for free prescriptions/dentist/eye tests/hospital travel if on a low income (note if you’re on Income based ESA/JSA/Income Support or UC with little earnings from work you get them free automatically):

Apply for a prescription prepayment certificate (like a season ticket if you need 12 or more prescriptions a year and the above scheme doesn’t apply due to savings or partners income):…/prescription-prepayment…

%d bloggers like this: